Wednesday, June 15, 2011

2011 Royal Histio Heroes Bike-a-walk-a-thon

I have been wanting to put this post up since Saturday---but I have resisted to fulfill other responsibilities until today.  Now blogger is resisting!  It is loading my pictures at the rate of one per decade, so I hope someone will be willing to step in and carry on when I am too old to keep loading these pictures up.  My new and improved plan includes putting up a few pics at a time and over the next few days the whole story should appear!!  It was an amazing event--amazingly, amazing.  Over 260 participants and hundreds of others to observe and join in.  We are overjoyed at the results---$25,000.00 to send to Histio Heroes research fund!  Can you believe what this tiny little town in Eastern Washington can do?!!  I want to thank everyone---sponsors, participants, volunteers, attendees, family, friends, and even the Head coach and star player from Connell who came and took their turn in the dunk tank.  Just how I'm supposed to not hug those two when I see them again I don't know.....maybe if I wear all my Knight gear the magnetic poles in the earth's crust will keep us naturally apart!  Debra Bergeson sent me 268 pictures, Maria Allred sent me dozens, Melanie has posted some on face book (but you all know I won't be able to figure out how to make those march onto my blog!---wanna come visit Mel I have a job for you!!!) and Jessica Greenfield said she took over 500 pictures that day.  We don't mess around with our good memories around here!  So without too much further ado here are your pics, oh one more ado---I love you ALL!  Thanks for helping us in our mission to save our son, and his quality of life for many, many, many, many years to come. 
                                          The registration line---complete with patient people.
                                                                 Pretty cool volunteers
 Marcus is saying "Look, Dallas, look, at the good people of Royal".  Dallas is dutifully looking.  I have very dutiful brother-in-laws.
Corbin at the bike-repair station (I'm guessing for a bike-repair, not just for kicks) that Dad and John Klefbeck ran--they fixed over 40 bikes that day.  Including Sierra's, twice I think.

Lindsey Christensen offered to run a bake sale--we took her up on that offer!

 Why is Mother not manning her first aid station?  Someone get on the radio and find out who gave her permission to abandon her station---sheesh.  I might be overreacting, I'm guessing now from the background that the event might be over, or not started--bikes are going in the wrong direction.  I'll look into this before I press charges of abandoning her post.
Jackson's job was to go around, help where he could, cheer people on, and be friendly, talkative and worth his weight in gold.  Tanner's job was to make Jackson do his job.  Tanner had a hard job!!  Do you think they called each other and said, "hey wear your plaid shorts and flip flops and I'll wear mine"?  Will they tell us if they did?

Royal football players manning the punch stations (not Hawaiian punch that would have been cool though--but punching peoples cards to track how many miles they were accumulating).  These are good boys, mark my words.  Johnny is pointing out the paparrzzi (Debra) to Colin and Carter.  Chase just knows to smile and show his good side for the cameras.
Every bike-a-walk-a-thon needs and limo golf cart soooooo, we borrowed one from Dean Callahan.
Waiting for the race to begin.

Cute chicks came from all around for MY SON.  I'm so proud!

Charisty and Yessenia walked the entire time--they are true friends.  Walking for them is not as easy as it is for most of us---if I could borrow their sweet hearts I'd clone a billion of them.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Crying, crying, crying! I love Royal City. I love the football players, I love my cousins and your in-laws. I love my parents and my brother and sis-in-law and my nieces and nephews and the people I used to babysit! And for some reason it's Tanner that is making me cry the hardest right now. I love that boy! He is such a great friend! Ok, now I can't see the monitor through the tears so I'll stop now.

Angela M said...

What a really awesome thing you did for a really great cause!!! Way to go!


Angela Mangum, South Jordan, Utah

Becky Noftle said...

Thank you Angela!

Miller Family said...

I'm crying now too! I love that you had this event! I loved that my kids and I were able to help and participate. I loved seeing Jackson with a smile on his face. I loved when Ty hit the bullseye for the dunk tank and Jackson was shocked (I will get you those pics soon). What an amazing event to help such a wonderful young man and others with this disease. Royal City rocks!!!!

Heidi said...

This looks like it was AMAZING! Way to go everyone! I'm so glad it was so successful and wish we could have been there too. Looked fun!

melanie said...

I couldn't make it through this post (or the bike a thon) without tears. It was so amazing to see and feel the love for Jax and your family. So glad we could be there, we wouldn't have missed it!!