Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ladies & Gentlemen...The 50 miler


Adventure numero uno, for Jax on the fifty miler was having his Mommy drive him and 5 other "mountaineers" on this road to the "drop off point". Trust me this road was an adventure all it's own, especially in the Saturn minivan or the Golden Terd (GT). Here we are at a washout, and the other vehicles on the road---recreational jeeps with five point harness systems and huge trail tires. But not us, we were schooling them all with the GT. Michael may wonder how the roof of the GT got dented from the inside(tall boys in back=dented roof from inside it's simple math).


A picture of how Jackson looked when I dropped him off. Note he is clean and doesn't look exhausted (remember this for future reference).

The whole crazy crew. All those melons were for LUNCH for that first day---sheesh I don't think I would feed those boys that much fruit and then hike them for six days; but to each there own I guess!


This is the amazing Man I got back. Everyone got a nickname on the 50 miler, his was "medicine man", those male leaders were amazed at how he so casually gave himself a shot each night and swallowed his pills night and day without even needing water. He hiked over 50 miles. Saw a friend get knocked off a 30 ft. drop off by a horse(that friends nickname was cliffhanger from then on), saw that same horse stumble and cut an artery on his leg. He endured rain every day of the hike, blistered feet, broken shoe laces, broken hiking boots, a horse stepping on his foot, a bruised foot with a toe losing it's nail from afore mentioned horse, trail food, sleeping outside in the rain with no tents, sleepwalkers, and stinky friends. Also you may have noticed he doesn't look as good as when I sent him off---this is HIS fault. Jackson didn't change his clothes once in SIX days! Good grief I have taught that boy nothing. I remember now that when he was little and I would tell him to get dressed in the morning, he would ask "why, where are we going?". "No where Jax, we just put on clean clothes every day"......lesson apparently NOT learned!




I was thrilled to kiss that face though, it's still handsome to me.
Is it just me or is there some pride of accomplishment in those eyes?!














8 comments:

Beverley said...

yahoo for Jax, great job, don't think no I know I could have not endured all that and come back with that great smile, yes I see the pride in that face, that is well deserved. Love you so much Jax your my hero.

Heather said...

Way to go buddy. That is such a great accomplishment. I just got back from a 3 mile run, and I'm tired :) No way would I make it 50 miles- especially the sleeping outside part! You are an amazing boy Jax, and we are so proud to have you in our family! Now go take a shower, please!

Holly said...

I LOVE the first group picture with Jackson SMILING!! He doesn't do that rarely in pictures! We are sooo proud of you Jax! This is a major accomplishment, and something you should feel soo proud of! I am pretty sure no one in my family could do it, nor would we have the courage to even TRY! p.s Did you tip Tyson off that he doesn't really have to put on clean clothes every day!

melanie said...

Six days in the same clothes?! You did lose out on teaching that lesson, ha. But to make you feel better, I'm on the same road with Nathan. He tells me it's not a big deal to change underwear, no one sees them! Ugh, boys I tell ya!

I'm so proud of Jackson AND you for making it through the days of that hike. 50 miles is impressive, exhausting and dirty. He looked good and clean at the pool the other day, whew.

Medicine Man and Cliffhanger are pretty good nicknames. Ones that are probably going to stick for quite a while.

Brenda said...

What's with the anti-clean clothes club? Are all the boy cousins members? Jax looks gross, but I only say that because I'm intimidated by his ability to hike 50 miles. There might be a little jealousy involved as well. Glad you're home safe bud.

Louise said...

When we have to walk to Missouri I want Jax in my travel group... but lets work on that changing to clean clothes issue, ok? I'm not only proud of Jackson, but proud of his Mom for making it through the 6 loooooong days he was gone!

Shaina and Cody said...

its not pride! we love Jax too! I want to have a contest to see who can wear the same outfit the longest, just don't tell my mom!

Heidi said...

Did they really eat all that fruit the first day??? Jackson went through a lot on that 50 miler. That is hilarious he didn't change his clothes the whole time. I remember my brother's jeans would stand up on their own b/c he would wear the same pair for a long time while working on the farm. gross!