Sunday, March 7, 2010

Happy 40th Anniversary Mom & Dad!

March 7th, 2010 -- 40 years since Mom and Dad said "I do". I do to putting you through college, I do to having five kids on a teachers salary then putting you through more school so you don't have to raise five kids on a teachers salary, I do to moving 12 times that I can count, including one brief stay in a motor home while waiting for a house, with those same five kids! I do to hearts with holes in them and surgeries (plural) on your daughter. I do to 3 kids in college at once, and out of five kids not one marrying somebody from Washington! I do to a grandson with cancer (were hoping just the two times is all!) and a two granddaughters with major surgeries under their belts (Sydney and Aftyn). I do to losing 3 parents and helping the one left behind. I should go on and list 40 things I appreciate about them but, let's face it, I'm tired and it's getting late, so how abouta (as Zoe would say) I name four and you times that times ten!
1. They have always shown love and affection for each other---some of my friends parents never held hands or snuggled on the couch, but growing up we always saw that and it was comforting to know how much they loved each other.
2. They compliment each other, where Dad is loud, Mom is soft, where Mom is shy, Dad is outgoing, where Dad is impulsive, Mom stops to think (perhaps moving the family to Guatemala for medical school isn't a great idea Kent---you know the typical stuff like that!)
3. They share their talents, if someone asks for help on a car or home repair project Dad is there, Mom has played the piano and sewed for countless people over the years, and lots of "Louise come look at this oozing rash or come take so and so's blood pressure" ....
4. They raised us to know that we are loved, we are children of God, and we are blessed to be family. They were right.




*Note to Brenda, the photographer isn't very good, she admits that, but puuhhlleeaassee can't they both look and smile at the same time??*

11 comments:

Louise said...

40 years, yikes! Sorry about the last two pictures, maybe Brenda could do a little "cut and paste" job and make one decent shot out of it. I was having a hard time concentrating with that awesome chocolate cake in front of me, yum, yum. Sweet post, thank you, and thanks for the greaat dinner!

Beverley said...

Congrats, we will have our 41st next Sunday and I wish my kids could say such nice things about us but I don't think we can beat that. Hope for many more to come for you.

Heidi said...

I remember your Mom telling Kent, "go put a shirt on" and he said "take yours off!" It was HILARIOUS! So yes, they definitely showed their affection. ha ha ha.

Happy Anniversary Kent and Louise!

Holly said...

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad! You are such a great example of what marriage should be. I love how you are not afraid to show your affection...well Dad at least! Wish we were there to celebrate with you! Love you both sooo much!

Elaine said...

40 years is surely among the great things in life. What a wonderful family! Blessed for sure!

Heather said...

Yea Mom and Dad! You are amazing, and we are so very blessed to have your example to look to. We love you so much! Hugs and kisses from Utah :)

Miller Family said...

Happy Anniversary Kent and Louise! That is awesome and a great example to look up to! I love that Louise is in the office because she is just so sweet with the kids and so helpful when us mom's can not be there for every little thing. So thank you for taking care of all the little and big things at school!!! Michelle

Brenda said...

Heidi's comment made me laugh out loud to myself. But sadly, that's not the worst thing Dad's ever said. And according to Trevor, he's worse around the men of the family. Thanks for being such a great example to us! I was always SHOWN that a great marriage was one where you marry your best friend. I'm so thankful for that. Have fun in Hawaii. Bring me back some over-priced macadamia nuts.

Bonnie said...

Love and congratulations to the happy couple, and times that by ten!

Granny DeeAnn said...

If I would have just had 3 more weeks I could have talked some sense into Louise! (Inside joke!) Happy Anniversary to a super couple. All my sympathy Louise! (Who else would have let him tear down a motor in their living room?) J/K Kent is my favorite "oldest" brother!!!

melanie said...

Happy Anniversary to a fabulous aunt and uncle!! I love Heidi's comment too, that's one I hadn't heard before and it is hilarious. You guys are pretty awesome, thanks for all you do for so, so many people including me. Love you! (and what's this about Hawaii? HAVE FUN!!!)

Such a great post Becky!!