Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I had a brilliant idea for this Thanksgiving--I would have each of my children make one of the dishes for our Thanksgiving meal.  I also thought I would take pictures and blog/brag about it later.  Here is Sierra on Wed. the first of the children to make her dish.  She saw the Pioneer woman make mashed potatoes one time so, that is what she contributed this Thanksgiving.  As a bonus I should add that I think they really were the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten!  I have to admit that having 5 kids cook--not my best idea.  You can tell Sierra and I did well--smile on her face and mine when we were done.  However, by the time Sierra finished, so had my patience.  Jackson said he knew how to make his pie, they had done it in foods class.  So I let him go---you can imagine the mess without my help.  Plus Thursday morning I discovered (after he had left for the Turkey bowl game of course) that he hadn't put the filling in the pie shells after all and so he only gets 1/2 credit for the two pumpkin pies!  Zoe had the assignment of fresh corn casserole.  Only 5  ingredients---no problem---wait---problem--- she had to cut the corn off of 8 ears of corn.  Can you say sticky, milky, messy.  I don't need to say it, I lived it.  Carter bailed on his green bean dish, I was thrilled to do it alone by that point though.  Samantha managed to pull off homemade rolls Thanksgiving morning and they turned out yummy.  You might be wondering why there are no pictures of Zoe and Sammi cooking---I told you I got over my enthusiasm for cooking with my children a little quicker than the project ended!


                                          A close up of Sierra's masterpiece mashed potatoes.
The traditional Thanksgiving place cards that Sammi and Kylie made several years ago.  This is the fewest we've ever had out for a Thanksgiving dinner.  I was worried it wouldn't feel very 'holidayish" with such small numbers, but it was fine.  Calmer than usual and we went to the movies together that night which reminded me of Thanksgiving nights in Moses Lake at Grandma Bishops house.  The grownups would always drop us off at the movie theatre after Thanksgiving dinner--probably to enjoy some well deserved peace and quiet!

Carter enjoying his "trees pie".  It is Grandma Louise's destiny to make Carter his favorite Cheese cake dessert every Sunday and holiday for the rest of her (or his judging from his weapons addiction) life!

Jackson is a bit proud of his 1/2 effort in the pumpkin pie department.  (Yes Brenda I can see the picture was turned but I'm tired from the party at your house last weekend!)

Not related at all to Thanksgiving day, is this picture of the last Noftle child displaying his knowledge of shoe tying.  We had no choice he told me Mr. Buster can't tie shoes, and it was getting embarrassing to keep asking Dylan to do it for him!  Please pause to sigh over my baby growing up---speaking of babies growing up.....

I came across this today---Jackson's first ever dance picture --- SIGH!

3 comments:

Louise said...

Sigh, another Thanksgiving under our belt, another Christmas coming up WAY too fast! Thanks for the fun pictures, and for your contribution to the yummy meal!!

Holly said...

Love the pictures! Hope you've recovered from the weekend...I haven't!!

Brenda said...

Adorable post (minus the grainy pictures...insert me slowing rocking myself in the corner of my room). And I have no recollection of movies on Thanksgiving! Must have been an older grandchild privilage. The adults didn't mind having Matt and I around. Loved having you here! We miss you (insert us rocking ourselves in the corner of our rooms).