Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lullaby Songs

Tonight Carter walked into the girls room as I was singing Zoe her lullaby.  He wanted me to sit with him and asked me why Zoe's bed song didn't sound like his so I told him they all had their own lullaby song I used to sing to them as babies (or 7 and 9 year olds apparently!!).  He had me sing all 5 songs tonight and I decided I wanted to write them all down so when I lose my mind ---scheduled to happen sometime next week by the way things are shaping up---we will have this blog post to refer to.

Jackson's song:  Rock-a-bye don't you cry, Jackson go to beddie bye. Rock-a-bye don't you cry, Jackson go to sleep, beep, beep.  (just to further embarrass Jackson I used to pat his little diapered tush-tush on the beep, beep part!)

Sammi's song:  Baby mine don't you cry, baby mine dry your eyes, rest your head close to my heart, never to part, baby of mine.  Little one when you play, pay no mind what they say, let those eyes sparkle and shine, never a tear, baby of mine. From your head to your toes, your so sweet goodness knows, you are so special to me, sweet as can be, baby of mine.    Sammi's song is the lullaby Dumbo's mother sing to him when she is put in "jail" and he goes to visit her--took about 100 times singing it before I could forget that scene in the movie and not tear up!!  But I think it is a pretty song.

Sierra's song:  I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream.  I know you, the gleam in your eye is so familiar a gleam.  And I know it's true that visions are seldom all they seem, but if I know you, I know what you'll do, you'll love me at once, the way you did once upon a dream.  OK, now let's name that movie--if you said Cinderella you would be correct!

Zoe's song:  You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.  You make me happy, when skies are gray.  You'll never know dear, how much I love you.  Please don't take my sunshine away.  The other night dear, as I lay sleeping, I dreamt I held you in my arms.  When I awoke dear, I was mistaken, and I hung my head down and cried.  You are my sunshine, my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray.  You'll never know dear, how much I love you.  Please don't take my sunshine away.    An oldie, but a goodie.

Carter's song:  Rock-a-bye Carter in the treetops, when the wind blows the cradle will rock, when the bough breaks the cradle will fall, and down will come cradle, Carter and all.  When I sang this to Carter tonight Zoe was listening and yelled from her room "that's a sad song Mom", and Carter yelled back, "no it's not cause Mom catches me!"  PHEW!!  Actually, Sammi's is from the sad part of Dumbo, Zoe's refers to a lost or departed love, and Carter has to be caught before he and his cradle crash out of a tree.  I think its too late to turn back now for cheerier lullabies, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. 

All these songs have made me sleepy--nighty-night.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Ha ha! You're kids crack me up! Tyson is the only one with a :song", and it's the same as Zoie's. Guess I hadn't gotten that far with the girls! MIss you guys!

The McGary's said...

Love that you have a song for each of them.

Isn't "once upon a dream" from sleeping beauty? Or were you kidding when you said cinderella?:)