Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chemo round 10 day 1 and the possible death of a Mini Van

It's hard to believe we have been doing this for 10 months.  I've tried to keep track of the help we have received from people and this trip brings us to 113 Thank you cards sent, which means 113 times served---AMAZING.  How grateful we are for every little and big act of service done for our family.  Jackson's ANC  was 600 yesterday, and 1100 by today--go figure, no really because I can't.  They are considering pushing Jackson to 5 weeks between treatments to give his bone marrow a rest. But the ANC of 1100 meant we started Chemo, after 6 pm, and got out of the hospital after 7 pm, why Becky your appointment was for 2pm what happened.  Well, I'll tell you, perhaps one of our more dramatic drive over stories yet.  So, here we are, jammin' to 97.1 I'm a cool rocker Mom when needed, going 71 mph down I-90 just past Ellensburg when the transmission on the GT decided to leave us.  Luckily we got safely from the left lane to the right shoulder without being hit by anyone.  I put the van in Park and it started rolling backwards--I put it in Drive, nothing.  So I called Michael and cried, later I remembered I had recently read a quote from Marjorie Pay Hinkley where she said "Sometimes you have the choice in life to laugh or cry, I always choose to laugh, crying gives me a headache"!   I remembered my resolve after Michael assured me help was on the way. So I made a few jabs at the GT with Jax and after that I cleaned out the GT, even used the armor all on it--want it to look nice for the burial (fingers crossed people, fingers crossed!!).  So Courtney donated her Jetta and Jax and I got back on the road again.  Thanks Michael, Mom, Courtney, and Dad---takes a village to get us down the road.  Michael has instructed me to put this out there---If you know of anyone trading in a Suburban or such soon, call the Noftle's first, we are probably in the market for one!
In other news Carter graduated from preschool this week, and now we have begun the "how many wake ups till Kindergarten starts" question, every day.  It was also the Series finale for Steps Ahead Preschool.  I can't talk about that yet, I don't want to break my no crying resolve twice in one day.  Cool fact--next year From the Senior class to the Kindergarten class every grade will have some Steps Ahead Preschool former students in it!
Last week when I wasn't blogging I was attending a Mariners' game with the 7th graders.  From 6 am till 8:30 pm  it wasn't even torture--and I'm not being sarcastic!  I love Sammi's class they are such a good group of kiddos.  As I write this I am hearing about Ken Griffey Jr.'s retirement, we saw him play that day--He and the GT left us the same day---they deserve happy retirements.
Hannah, Roberto, Kai, Jacob, Evan, Sarah, Carley, Sammi, Sam E., and not pictured are Bailey, Khrystal, Gerard, Peyton, Carter, Robin, Jacquie and I give..... lot's more!

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I am sending Suburban thoughts your way!!!

Miller Family said...

Not fun when you have car problems when you are driving far from home. Glad it all worked out for you to get there and still do chemo. Hard to believe you are retiring from pre-school. What will your next adventure be?

Brenda said...

I believe in euthanizing vehicles. The GT wants to die. She's tried to tell you several times. Just let her go in peace.

Louise said...

Brenda- I agree with you except I'm pretty sure the GT is a "he", not a "she". After all, he hasn't been very user friendly! Glad you got there safe and they were able to work you in. A five week break probably sounds pretty good to you and Jax, right?
Why does it seem like Sammi and her friends are growing up WAY to fast???? What a fun group though.