Monday, October 1, 2007

Game Anyone?

You may not hear from me this week....I may not hear from myself this week. Sammi and Sierra have 3 soccer games to be played on Monday and Wednesday. Jackson has football games in Ephrata on Tuesday, at Royal on Thursday, and during half time of the varsity game Friday , and then in Othello on Saturday. That pretty much sums up my week. Sometimes I think this is insane; why don't we tell our kids no to all of this, but I think I got my answer on Saturday. Jackson's team was winning 6 nothing with less than three minutes in the game, then the other team scored and made their extra point putting them up by 1. With a sinking feeling I watched the other team kick off to us. Tanner(Jax's bestest buddy since birth) caught the ball and started running to the left and the other team (HUGE freaks of nature trust me on this) went left charging Tanner down. One boy on our team, yells " follow me Tanner", and switches to the right and lead blocks Tanner 40 yards for the touchdown! So the kids are jumping up and down screaming when "lead blocker boy" comes up to Michael (yes he is coaching the team again after swearing he would take this year off) and says, "coach I am not an emotional kid but I feel like crying right now"!! The thing is this kiddo hasn't had the easiest life. In fact Michael has been his football coach since he was in third grade and he can be hard at times. Last year he watched his Dad break his mom's arm in a drunken rage. I quit thinking he was a turkey about then, and started thinking how easy it is to judge wrongly. His Mom counts on him for a lot, and now I think of him more as a little soldier in an unfair war. But Saturday he led another soldier to victory and he felt so good and happy he hardly knew what to do. If this little guy and countless others can feel success and pride in team sports, then that might be the positive they need to rise above whatever they have to rise above. I think I am pretty lucky to get to know my kids classmates in this setting---remind me of this next time I complain about seven games in a week.

8 comments:

Shannon said...

You are busy busy! Seven games in one week might cause me to go to my bedroom and lock the door - all week! Your story about the boy in the game brought a tear to my eye. I am so glad he could have such a great experience and you and Michael got to share it.

Brenda said...

Wow! What a great outlet for this kid! It's just not fair that kids have to go through grown-up crap. His dad's a coward. Please tell me he's in jail!!!

Becky Noftle said...

Nope he is at home. But from what the boy's ( I do know his name I just don't want to "out" him in case my kids ever read this) Dad is at home but his brother, who lives in Royal is keeping a pretty tight reign on him. Hope it is getting better in their house.

melanie said...

Really, was your post about 7 games in one week supposed to make me cry? I could never have the thick skin needed to be a teacher (or coach, whatever) and see how some of these kids struggle and still keep making it. Pat Micheal on the back for me, you too. Everywhere needs more people like you.

Oh and the 7 games? Do not tell my kids that your kids are so involved. They already think you are cooler than me. This will just make it much more clear, ha!

Holly said...

Its true! Sometimes all kids have are their coaches, teachers and peers at school. Sports is such a good outlet for these kinds of kids especially. That is soo great! Way to go team!

Shannon said...

Did you survive your week???

Brenda said...

Hello? Is anyone home?

Shannon said...

Are you back in town? Please blog about your trip RIGHT NOW!