Sunday, April 22, 2012

Heart of a Cougar, Bones of a boy

The boy had an accident on Thursday April 12, 2012.  It involved an after school play date, and a trampoline.  The darn trampoline grabbed Carter's good buddy and thrust his knees onto Carters arm.  Because of that trampoline, the play date was cut shockingly short.  All so Carter and his strangely bent arm could go down to the clinic in Royal City.  I was very impressed with Carter, who knew immediately that his arm was broken, he told me later his "clues' were;  "the snap sound I heard, and my hand wouldn't move, and it was bent wrong at my wrist".  He is good at noticing things.  He came into the house crying hard, me being careful to retain my amateur mother status, yelled from the pantry---"you better be hurt to be crying like that".  Luckily I believed him once I walked out and saw his sorry little bird arm.

Jana and Dr. Jose E. x-rayed Carter in Royal and sent the images to Dr. Wheaton in Moses Lake.  Both the Ulna and Radius bones below the right wrist were broken.  Dr. Wheaton said to put a half cast on him, send him home with pain meds,  and to go in at 9:30 the next morning to meet with him about setting the arm.  Jana and Dr. Jose were so good with Carter, and Carter was Mr. Please and Thank You, I tell you he made me look good, he was so polite.  As Dr. Jose was helping him turn his arm for one x-ray Carter cried out, it hurt so bad---and with tears running down his face he thanked Dr. Jose for helping him hold his broken arm.  Dr. Jose said, "Carter, your killing me man", you could see the confusion on Carter's face!  He got lots of attention at home from his siblings.  We were all fighting over bringing him whatever we could think of to bring a smile to his face.  Then cousin Avery and family brought him a chocolate bar, Grandma Louise gave him a lightsaber wii controller, and Braydon and Family a balloon and candy.  Carter told me that was the only good thing he could think of about breaking his arm!  He spent a long sleepless night in my bed. 


Dr. Wheaton gave the Cougar Man two choices.  Don't eat or drink for six hours, go to the hospital, be put under, and have us set your arm while you are asleep.  Or--- we numb your arm up with a special shot and I set it right here in my office and you will be out the door with your temp. cast in 30 minutes or less.  Brave Carter picked the 2nd choice---mainly so he could get a milkshake.  He screamed when they gave him the numbing shot, and grabbed on to me crying when they set it.  We might have both been a little teary.  I had brought a DVD player that Grandma Beve gave Jax for Chemo, but Carter said his arm hurt to bad to watch a movie.

In just a few moments though, the arm was nice and straight, and after confirming that it was straight on the inside he got his temporary plaster cast on.  And don't worry he got his milkshake, and a new DS game!

1 comment:

Louise said...

The never ending drama in the Noftle house continues. I must say tho, your boys are the best patients ever. Hang in there Couger, your red cast is coming just in time for the wedding!