Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Bummer Blood Counts

Jackson's first set of Labs since Chemo came back low. I was completely undone by the results for an hour or two---Michael can verify my undoneness. But as I was literally picking up my cell phone and scrolling down to the Seattle Children's Hospital number the phone rang and it was the charge nurse from Oncology to go over his Lab results with me. I was sobbing and she was so nice. Telling me how I don't need to panic, she asked how Jax was and I said he acts fine, not tired, eats normally, and she said Becky what does that tell you, it tells you he is tolerating things just fine. She also said the counts didn't alarm her and that he would be needing another blood draw this Friday and that we will see then if they are heading North or South. I wonder if nurses have a word for Mom's like me on days like that? As teachers we used to refer to some Mom's as Helicopter Mom's, meaning it was never little Jonnie's fault, Jonnie would never not finish an assignment or pull Sally's pigtails, or do anything that was in the least incorrect. They were "helicopters" because they were constantly hovering never letting their child be the least bit responsible for anything. So what do nurses call Crazy Mom's?!
Here is a rundown of the counts we are watching:
The first number listed is the Normal range then the Counts on 9-23-09 and lastly the Counts on 10-05-09
HCT 31-48% 37.5% 33.7% PLT 150K-500K 316 128 WBC 5-12 5.2 3.1 ANC Over 1,000 2803 1643
I guess I just was surprised and disappointed to see his counts take such a hit after the first round of four treatments, I thought we would have a few months before we had to worry about that. But what do I know?! Not enough apparently. I still am worried though, regardless of what the nurse said, he certainly can't drop like that every time.
Oh, here is a key:
HCT=hematocrit red blood cells that carry oxygen to the body, give color to the skin, and energy to the body
PLT=platelets prevent bleeding and help the blood to clot
WBC=white blood cells fight infection
ANC=absolute neutrophil count Type of WBC that is the first to respond to potentially fatal bacterial infections
Oh--if any of you now how to make graphs or charts, or even color code on blog posts, HELP it took me forever to do the numbers, I had them all lined up with bright shiny faces and every time I'd publish, they would act like crazy people!

6 comments:

Holly said...

I talked to Mom late last night and she told be about Jackson's counts. I was so, so, so bummed. I thought, like you, that we wouldn't have to worry about that for a while. We are praying harder! He is acting fine, so that has got to count for something! Hang in there! Friday will bring better numbers, I know it! We love you guys!

Shannon said...

You are a good 'splainer, Becky. I am so glad that he is acting fine, eating, all that. I think the name for a Mom who reacts like you is a Loving Mother! Oh good, it's another one of those Loving Mothers. That is what the nurses must say.

Brenda said...

I talked to mom on Tuesday. She kind of came undone too. I'm with Shannon, you're a loving mama. And your mama is a loving mama. How weird and sad would it be if you weren't concerned? Then you would just be a heartless b...anyway. You're concerned and that's what makes you a great mother. I'm sure we'll hear better news with tomorrow's blood work. We're still on our knees over here praying for you all!

P.S. Mark responded to your comment on my blog. We had totally noticed the "almost" hand holding too, but I tried not to draw attention to it for Trevor's sake, no matter how bad I wanted to. So, thanks. Now I'm not the one in trouble.

melanie said...

You are the most loving mom I know. Hands down! What a way to take the wind out of your sails. So good he's acting fine and eating, at least that's something. You're always in my prayers and I hope tomorrow pulls through with better numbers.

I hate when blogger is crazy!

Jason Stewart Family said...

You are not crazy. They call those moms the ones that care. You are awesome!

Bonnie said...

Sounds like they didn't warn you adequately about all the side effects of chemo? The warnings are scary, but when things turn out better than you expect, you're so relieved! Much better than being shocked by those low counts. It's not uncommon as treatment continues to have to push the next round back a week or two or three to give the counts a chance to recover, either. And don't be overly alarmed if Neulasta or Neupogen injections are administered to stimulate the WBC's to get busy and start producing at some point!
Yep, it's a definite emotional roller coaster for moms, and a physical one for our precious patients! Sending along shock-absorbing hugs.