Monday, October 12, 2009

HIghs and Lows







So what do you want first, the highs or the lows? Ha ha just kidding you don't get to choose, I'm writing this baby. Lets' get the lows out of the way and end on a HIGH note.
Low: Jackson's White blood count and absolute neutrophil count. In fact his ANC fell from 1643 to 800 this time. Yikers, anything below 500 keeps him home from school and crowds (ie: church, games, stores)
Here is the run down: HCT last time it was 33.7 this time it was 35.8 up is good! PLT last time it was 128,000 this time it is 376,000 very good. WBC last time 3.1 this time 2.0 bad. ANC last time 1643 this time 800,very bad. So ya got your good and ya got your not so good. They have decided not take any action, other than another blood draw this Friday. We did call the school to have them remind the teachers to wipe down desks, and keep sick kids as far across the room as possible. Not much else we can do except pray his white blood cell count and ANC count go up.



Now for the Highs: Soccer is over!!!!! OOPS, I meant to say Sierra and Zoe just finished a lovely soccer season! They had such nice coaches with John Klefbeck and Craig Gilbert, thank you guys. To my eternal shame the only week I remember the camera for soccer was the game Zoe was sick---so I took a picture of her soccer picture, didn't work out. But as we say in preschool, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit. Works for which color chair you get and lots of other things in life!! Sammi's 7th grade volleyball team is getting better and better. In fact last week they won all three matches against Othello!! If you haven't watched 7th grade volleyball lately may I suggest you catch a game? The girls are so great, self-concsious one second and so intense the next. And everyone cheers when any "volleying" occurs! I love going to her games, she really is a great player.

Today was another one of those days where four phone calls to nurses and doctors made me realize how much I took the "normal" days for granted. And I know better, because I have experienced this before! I long for a day where I am not worrying over blood counts, H1N1 shots, Chemo arrangements, hotel accommodations, insurance stuff, and guilt over things I am not doing because I am doing those other things. I am getting a little negative, which was not my intention. What I really just want to express, to myself, and anyone else who needs to hear, be grateful for every day, days that are mundane and full of housework, and caring for your family are a huge blessing. Days when we have to deal with harder things, and more complicated problems, are also a blessing and I am going to remember that also. Struggling through this next 12 to 18 months is wonderful, amazing, and heaven sent. Why? Because, I get the chance to help my sick child get well hopefully, and some Mothers don't get that blessing.

11 comments:

Beverley said...

Becky you are such a blessing to our family, I love your family so much and fast and pray for you all every week, I wish so bad I could help with your needs. If your need me please let me know. I have a long term sub job for march and april but other than that I am yours. God luv your family and I know he is watching over Jax and can work miracles. You are always in my heart and prayers.

Brenda said...

Yeah and Ugh all at the same time. We have been counting our blessings of health a lot lately. Thanks for the reminder to call the doctor. Gotta get those H1N1 shots taken care of. We want to be the picture of health in December! And when we're there, let me introduce you to a scanner;) Love you and thinking about you tons!

Miller Family said...

Thinking of you Becky and remembering to appreciate the mundane days at home with laundry piled high and kids making messes. Everyday I see Jackson's sweet face staring at me on the fridge and I say a prayer for him and your family. Keep up the faith Becky and thanks for the daily reminder that we all need at times!!!

Heather said...

Thanks for reminding me that running from soccer game to soccer game, and cleaning up after 3 dirt-laden little boys are mundane things that I should appreciate. We are sending prayers and good thoughts your way- that the ANC and WBC numbers will climb, climb, climb. Love you all :)

Holly said...

We all need those reminders constantly. I know I do. Things could always be worse, so it is very important we focus on the positive things in our lives. Easy to say, hard to do! Hang in there. We love you guys, and just know those numbers are going to start cooperating soon!

Becky Noftle said...

Brenda--Michael made the same comment about the scanner, technology hard, Becky need learn more, Brenda need move closer and help Becky learn more.

Krista said...

Becky~ I love your heart! Jax is so blessed to have you for his mama. Thanks for the reminder to appreciate and be thankful for those days that aren't always so much fun. I love this verse in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. It's so easy to thank God for the good in our lives, but we are called to be thankful for the low times as well and I believe if we do this we will see great blessings:) We'll be praying for those blood counts to come up! Love ya, Krista

Heidi said...

It must be so hard trying to juggle everything so good for you trying to look on the positive. We hope Jaxson's numbers get better soon.

Granny DeeAnn said...

OK, I so appreciate you soccer and volleyball moms. I seriously can't even spell soccer. I had to look on your blog to see how to spell it..... I promote Nintendo! You don't have to sit out in the hot/cold and it doesn't take a car! Ha It was good talking to you and Jackson yesterday. Who cares about a scanner? Hey everyone..... Skype Becky and Jax! They're pros.

Louise said...

What can I say except you are doing a great job and I know this will all work out somehow. We may have to alter things a bit, but it will all be for the best because someone who knows alot more than we do is in charge here- thank heaven! Love you...

Brooke said...

Becky I lOVE YOU! THanks I really needed to hear that today. Jax is always in our thoughts and prayers. He is going to get better!!! You are caring a heavy load but know that we are in the trenches with you! xoxo