Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hospital fieldtrip

This morning after waking up to the fact that we really did lose to Connell last night,(sob)we loaded up the kids, minus Sammi(she had a "previous engagement") and headed back over the mountain to Seattle Children's Hospital for Jackson's final Chemo of round 2--Chemo 8 to be exact. He is doing so well,(please knock on wood when you read that) he is very tired but so far no mouth sores, or nausea, or eye trouble. I'm hoping we have found the magic medicine course, start the mouth and eye meds 3 days before Chemo--we will definitely try that again next month. Right now he takes DDAVP twice a day, HGH shots once a day, Swish and swallow 4 times a day, Zofran every 8 hours, Colace twice a day, and two diffent eye drops , two drops of both meds in each eye twice a day. Oh--and Lupron shots every 28 days and Chemo infusions 4 days every 28 days. Oh---and Bactrim DS twice a day on Mondays and Tuesdays---please call me Monday's and Tuesday's in the AM to remind me of that--I couldn't sleep last night worrying I would forget that new med. I even got up and wrote it on the fridge calendar, and that should have solved that worry-- but it didn't. I don't list these meds for sympathy, I know kiddos who are on more, but I just find it AMAZING--all we can do to heal, and to heal the effects of the medicines we need that cause effects, which in turn need to be remedied. Also I decided that I wanted this down for us to read about in the future.
Anyways, I digress --we took the 3 youngest with us and Jax, hit Husky football traffic, ugh, and despite the traffic it was great. Saturdays are very quiet at the hospital, and when we went in Jax was the only kid in infusion getting Chemo. The Nurses pulled out a port for the little kids to handle and examine--they had the opportunity to watch him get accessed (Sierra was the only one who actually watched the needle go in--the others must be related to their Dad--who was also pointedly not watching)and they loved the "nutrition" station where there were goldfish crackers and drinks(technically only for the patients, but the nurses decided Jax needed them to be fed and hydrated too!)!! What can I say, Chemo looks O.K. to them--except for the needle-- Jax got lots of sympathy from them over that. After Chemo we took them to lunch at Red Robin and then to see "Astro Boy", Jax slept through most of the movie, not a reflection on the movie, more of a reflection on the Cytarabine! I also don't get mother of the year (and I'm pretty sure I was in the running)after all---because I forgot the Camera. They looked so cute intensely watching Jackson and the nurse grrrrr. I did scan in pictures of a port (nowadays they are plastic, although Jackson's first port at age 4 was just like that!) please know, Brenda, that I scanned the pictures from the port book the nurse gave the kids, and I did not take a picture of a picture---JUST FOR YOU!

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Heightened awareness all round for the kids. Now they have a better understanding of what it is Mom and Jackson are doing over in Seattle every month. And maybe it went a little faster for Jackson too this time?
I'm so glad your precautions are proving effective! Go team Jackson!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Write this on the list. #1. iPod has CAMERA even video camera! Use the toys:o) Glad things went well and everyone left a little more educated. How did Jackson survive all the little curious cats?

Becky Noftle said...

He barely survived Aunt DeeAnn!! I didn't know the IPOD had a camera, we had it with us too---I need a tech assistant, are you going to quit working and come do that for me?!

Granny DeeAnn said...

YES!!!

Miller Family said...

Nothing like Seattle traffic when sports are going on. Glad you got to take the family over and be with Jackson. I bet it did make this week seem faster than the last with the break coming home Friday. BTW, you do get mom of the year!!!

Brenda said...

I'm so proud I could cry. Look at you scanning! I wish I could have gone over with the kiddos too. And I would have totally watched! Medical Technology is so rad. Sorry about Connell. It still hurts even 13 years after I left. Just as a suggestion, does your cell phone have a camera? Does Michael's? Does the nurses? I'm not criticizing, just suggesting! Love you!

Becky Noftle said...

Brenda, remember how we always told you that you were found under a rock and Mom decided to keep you?! Well it turns out you are Aunt DeeAnn's kid, go bug there family with your techy knowledge of cell phones and such!!